Natural Gas Safety

Natural gas is clean, reliable and efficient. Safety is our #1 priority at ORUD. We strive to make our customers feel comfortable and safe at all times.

Natural gas is odorless, but it is a common practice to add a distinctive chemical odorant called mercaptan. ORUD has done this so you can more easily recognize the presence of natural gas, should you have a leak. The chemical odor is frequently compared to the smell of rotten eggs. If you smell something like this, please call us immediately at (865) 483-1377 or (888) 483-1377.

In the event of an emergency, call the 24-hour emergency line at (865) 483-1377 or (888) 483-1377.

How to determine if you have a gas leak

  • Is there an odor?
  • Do you hear air hissing or leaking?
  • Are you aware of any damage to the gas line?
  • Are you or another member of your family feeling dizzy, faint or ill?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, please contact us at (865) 483-1377 or (888) 483-1377.

Please leave your home to place the call to us

If you have determined (or suspect) you have a gas leak, please take the following precautions:

  • DO NOT operate electrical Items, including your home telephone
  • DO NOT use your cell phone inside the home
  • DO NOT operate electrical switches
  • DO NOT light matches
  • DO NOT hang up the phone, lay it down instead
  • DO evacuate the building, but remain nearby and available for our service technician
  • DO extinguish any open flames.
    • The best way to promote safety is through education and awareness.

We’ve compiled the following list of natural gas safety tips to guide and inform consumers about issues that might be relevant to you. As always, please call our 24-hour emergency phone number if you have any questions or need assistance with anything safety-related.

Appliance Safety

  • Always read your appliance manuals thoroughly
  • Be especially aware of your water heater’s temperature setting (temperatures over 125F can cause severe burns)
  • Use appliances only for their intended purposes
  • Adhere to recommended maintenance schedules
  • Call a professional when/if service is needed
  • Always use combustible materials only as directed
  • Keep paper, fabric and flammable fluids away from pilot lights, open flames and any surfaces that may become hot when the appliance is in use
  • Familiarize yourself and your family with gas appliances
  • Educate family members about all surfaces that may get hot when in use, including vent pipes
  • Never allow children to play with or adjust appliance controls
  • Schedule annual inspections and cleanings of heating systems, vents, flues and chimneys with a professional service provider
  • Stay alert by conducting your own visual inspections, looking for improper connections, rust, stains or water build-up
  • Never leave your car running in a garage
  • Never use gas or charcoal grills in an enclosed area
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms
  • If you suspect carbon monoxide is present, get fresh air immediately and call 911

Carbon monoxide safety

  • Carbon Monoxide, a gas without color, odor or taste, is produced when gasoline and other fuels burn
  • When there is inadequate ventilation, carbon monoxide can become concentrated and have severe consequences, such as poisoning
  • The most common sources of carbon monoxide are automobiles, furnaces and boilers that have not been properly maintained
  • Nobody is immune to carbon monoxide poisoning, but pregnant women, small children, older citizens, and people with heart or respiratory issues are more at risk
  • The best prevention for carbon monoxide problems is to have appliances installed properly and periodically inspected by a professional

How to tell if you might have carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Do you have flu-like symptoms (nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, vomiting, confusion)?
  • Are you disoriented? Often, victims become aware they aren’t well, but are too disoriented to save themselves

Construction Safety

Before beginning any type of demolition work or construction project, please call 811 or visit This will allow you to avoid any service interruptions and costly delays as well as prevent unnecessary accidents and injuries.